Saturday, February 21, 2015

Combine End Of Week (EOW) Review 1.


Blue and Red values are winning and losing days respectively.
What I'm pleased with this week is my consistency of approach towards my interaction with the market. I chose how much I was prepared to lose and stuck to it, even if I used to find it difficult to "give up" (We have to learn to be good losers in order to win over the long haul). I knew I wanted to have bigger winning days than losing ones and so I made that possible by controlling the downside...

I see a few areas for improvement. In order of importance:-

1) Emotional Variance- As mentioned in this post, this is, in my opinion, the most detrimental threat to anyone's profitability. Tuesday's mild euphoria followed by extreme emotional fatigue the following day meant a lapse in my ability to wait. If I had done so, I would have had the opportunity of up to 5 points of profit rather than the -1.5 points that I ended up with.

Action Plan: I have enough awareness of self to catch this scenario as it's unfolding. I will be in bed earlier than midnight on those winning days that trigger such a reaction. No bed before midnight, no trading the next day.

2) Run Winners, Cut Losers- This can be intra-trade, trades relative to other trades or on a collection of trades that make up a period of time, such as a day. I did a good job with the first two but not with Tuesday (took one-and-done) and Friday's trade (lowered contract size) which inevitably capped the week. This was done on purpose but, as I said, it won't do long-term.

To do this requires trust. Trust that pushing when already up will result in more over the long-term. Trust that, as much as you think you can fight, giving in too soon will save you in the long run. We have to forget those odd occasions when we pushed and gave back gains or when we fought our way back from huge drawdown.

Action Plan: Risk at least one more trade (full-size) when I'm up as much as I'm prepared to be down on any given day. Know that, sometimes, this is going to mean taking a decent winning day and turning it in to a smaller one in order to reach those larger-than-average-losing-day winning days. Example: If I'm only prepared to lose $336 in any given day, then take that one extra trade when up $336 on any given day.

It's also interesting to note that, just by moving from 5 contracts to 1 on that last trade, I cut the weeks' expectancy by just over 10% - E= 0.1013 missing from what would have been 0.2767.

In a nutshell- Go to bed and push when you're winning.



No comments: