Monday, October 10, 2016

The 7 Deadly Sins & Breaking Resistance

Most people are at least vaguely familiar with the story of Adam and Eve. Legend has it that Adam was placed in the Garden of Eden by God and told he could eat the fruit from all but one tree. Eve, who came into existence from one of Adam's ribs, succumbed to the temptations of the snake. After eating the apple, she offered Adam some and the rest of mankind's problems was history!

Some 18 months ago, I felt compelled to write out each of the Seven Deadly Sins on my whiteboard in the office. I find that poor trading (and living) can always be traced back to one of them so, as long as I'm mindful, I can avoid unnecessary draw-down both in life and in trading.

One that keeps coming up for me is what I call, "reaching for the peach".

We have various fruit trees in our garden and, some time ago, I began to notice something which I'd eventually trace back to a trading problem that plagued me. I would be on the ladder, picking the fruit within a comfortable distance. When the fruit was finished, I'd move the ladder to a spot where I could repeat the process. After a while, I would move the ladder less frequently until I found myself picking (or trying to pick) fruit that was clearly out of my reach.

I knew I needed to move the ladder (think re-positioning yourself in the market..) but I continued to overextend myself, sometimes to the point of falling off of the ladder (lol) or dropping the fruit I had collected. This could be labelled "sloth" and/or perhaps "greed" as I wanted to "finish" the fruit nearby or "get ahead".

This, IMO, is the reason for whole number resistance...the distinct behaviour on lower time-frames when higher time-frames are rolling from one candle to the next. This is why people are sometimes too aggressive on Mondays and too reserved on Fridays. It's the idea that we have "nearly" finished/obtained something or "just" started something. The curse of beginnings, middles and endings. Our behaviour changes as we feel a push or a pull towards something rather than just remaining constant in our execution.

No comments: